Stanford Institutes of Medicine Summer Research Program
The Stanford Institutes of Medicine Summer Research Program (SIMR) is an eight-week program in which high school students from diverse backgrounds are invited to perform basic research with Stanford faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students and researchers on a medically-oriented project. The goals of the program include increasing interest in biological sciences and medicine in high school students, helping students to understand how scientific research is performed, and increasing diversity of students and researchers in the sciences.
All three of the following requirements must be met (no exceptions):
1) Students must currently be juniors or seniors at the time of application (as of the fall of 2022). Must be in the graduating class of 2023 or 2024.
2) Students must also be 16 years old or older by the start of the program.
3) Students must be living in the U.S. AND must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a green card in order to apply.
Important Note: Please read the MISSION link on the lefthand panel. The selection process will heavily favor local (Bay Area) students. Please visit the FAQ for more information. Also, students must be able to start the program on June 12, 2023.
SUMMER 2023 UPDATE:
- The current plans are to have an in-person program for the summer of 2023. According to the Stanford policy in place during the spring/summer of 2023, there may be vaccine requirements, masking and testing requirements during the program. More concrete information will be provided in April when the accepted students are announced. Please DO NOT upload vaccination records onto the Slideroom application site when you are applying. There is a chance the program could be held virtually if the University does not allow in-person programs depending on the conditions at the time in the spring/summer of 2023.
- Summer 2023 Program Dates: June 12- August 3, 2023
- The online application and program information document will be available on our website on Friday, Dec. 16th, 2022 (at 5pm PST). Applications will be due Saturday, February 25th, 2023.